The Red River cart made its first (documented) appearance in 1801, just south of what is now the Canada-U.S. border. Made entirely of wood and tied together with bison hide, the carts were first used by the Metis to bring meat from the buffalo hunt and later in farm work. They were pulled by horses initially, and then oFor several years into the 1860s about 300 carts made one trip per season from the Red River Colony, carrying trade goods and furs. The carts were gradually replaced by the steamboat and ultimately the railway.
|See full size photos
||To Order||Price List||See Product Gallery|
|RED-RIVER-CART-SIGN--001-00||Red River Cart and Ox, Welcome Sign: laminated pine, acrylic hand-painted daisies and letters with UV-resistant clear protective coating.||